Friday, May 18, 2012

The Prado and the Reina Sofia

I made it through my first night in a hostel! It wasn't bad. My roommates were from Belgium and spoke English (just about everyone here does..) and they were quiet. Today we got up bright and early to hit the famous Prado Museum right when it opened. We got in line early and really lucked out with that decision. Turns out today is some sort of national museum day, so admission to all museums in Madrid is free for the day. There were a LOT of people there. The Prado is huge, but so beautiful. It's full of the famous works and masterpieces of artists from Spain and all over Europe. My favorites were pieces by El Greco and the depictions of mythology.
Before all the people showed up for free admission..
Next we stopped at the Real Jardín Botanico de Madrid right next door. I loved seeing all the familiar plants. Lots of rhododendrons, peonies, and climbing roses. I just might have to think about a destination wedding... ;)
Pretty roses!
Our last stop for the day was the Reina Sofia museum of modern art. To put it bluntly, I was bored out of my mind. There were very few pieces that I found worthwhile, and all of the staff was extremely preoccupied with letting me know that I could only hold my water bottle in the museum, not drink from it. The most interesting piece was the Guernica, and possibly the works on feminism. Needless to say, I was glad to leave. I finished the night by trying some "paella," a Spanish rice and seafood dish, and visiting the Plaza Mayor at nighttime and listening to some Mariachi in the Puerta del Sol.

 Tomorrow: Half-day trip to Toledo, a tour inside the Palacio Real, and maybe a little shopping.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment